Welcome to the Biology subworld!
Use this subworld for:
- Discussing Biology topics (biological advancements, new findings/discoveries, etc)
- Asking and answering Biology questions
- Hosting and attending Biology sessions
- Sharing resources and information about Biology
"Biology will relate every human gene to the genes of other animals and bacteria, to this great chain of being" - Walter Gilbert
When teaching biology, we know it can be tempting to simply give learners the answers to their questions. After all, the subject matter tends to be pretty complex, and learners might struggle to understand the concepts without some direction. However, we want to stress the importance of guiding the learner towards the solution instead of simply giving them the answer. I think the best way to do this is to ask some open-ended questions! Here are a few you can ask:
1. Could you please tell me what you know about this topic?
2. What do you think the answer might be? Why do you think that?
3. Would you please be able to explain this concept to me?
4. Can you think of any alternate explanations?
5. How might this concept relate to other concepts you have learned?
If the learner is online, we encourage you to to open a Live Help Zoom session! This will allow you to interact with the learner in real-time, answer their questions, and guide them towards the solution!
We know that guiding learners toward the solutions requires a lot of patience and an adaptive approach to teaching! We appreciate everyone’s hard work in the Biology subworld! Thank you so much for your help!