What We Do
Schoolhouse.world is a platform for free, peer-to-peer tutoring–where anyone, anywhere can receive live help, build their skills, and pay it forward by becoming a tutor themselves.
When schools transitioned to online learning during COVID-19 and students around the world craved more social interaction, access to personalized help become more inequitable than ever.
This prompted Sal Khan (founder of Khan Academy) to partner with his college friend, Shishir Mehrotra (co-founder and CEO of Coda), to create Schoolhouse.world.
With Mariah Olson, Drew Bent, and a handful of volunteers, they launched a pilot platform built on Coda to provide high-quality virtual tutoring to thousands of learners–completely for free.
Now, Schoolhouse.world reaches learners from over 100+ countries, and is proud to foster a vibrant community of over 7740+ volunteer tutors and 57700+ learners. We’re driven by our mission to connect hundreds of thousands of more learners with safe, equitable opportunities to learn, teach, and grow.
Why learn with us?
Attend sessions taught by volunteer peer tutors
Get help in high school math and SAT Prep–completely for free
Join series of other learners across the globe
Build confidence and ask questions in small groups
Why tutor with us?
Host sessions on your own schedule, in topics you know
Teach diverse learners from all over the world
Find support and make friends in a welcoming community of volunteers
Earn volunteer hours and gain real-world tutoring experience
🏔️ Think big, start small
- You don't need to make something perfect the first time you try. Instead, you iterate and learn from experience.
- You act with the bigger picture in mind, pioneering a new way forward in education.
- You are not bound by what is. You can see the world for what it could be.
👟 Step in
- You seek ownership over the work that you do.
- You contribute to areas outside your defined role.
- You have a bias towards action. When you see a problem, you seek to be part of the solution.
🏆 Uplift each other
- You see others as worthy of your time.
- You actively make spaces inclusive and equitable.
- You support and advocate for those without a voice.
📚 Always be a learner
- You see each mistake for what it can teach to you.
- You work through difficult situations and find opportunities to expand your skills.
- You have the humility to receive feedback and see it as an opportunity to grow.
Meet our team
Trust & Safety Lead and Learning Experience Lead
Product Lead, Marketing Lead, Founding Engineer
Senior Software Engineer and Certification Lead
Program & Partnership Lead
College Partnership Manager
User Support and Operations
Program Manager Extern
Volunteer and Operations Consultant
Learning Community Lead
Former US Secretary of Education
Coda Co-Founder & CEO
Schoolhouse.world Board Observer & Khan Academy Board Chair
Qijia "Joy" Liu
Julia Rose Chin
Schoolhouse.world is grateful to receive support from donors and partners who believe in our mission and make our work possible.