I lead Programs and Partnerships at Schoolhouse! | Team Spotlight: Matt W
The Schoolhouse.world product team has recently welcomed its newest member, Matt Wu, who joins as the new Programs and Partnerships Manager! We had the wonderful opportunity to interview Matt and hear about his journey joining the Schoolhouse.world product team and his hopes for the platform in the future!
Hi Matt! Could you please introduce yourself?
Hi everyone! My name is Matt and I just joined Schoolhouse two months ago as our Programs & Partnership Manager. I currently live in New York but am originally from Vermont. Before Schoolhouse, I studied Computer Science at MIT and spent ~3 years working as a Consultant at Boston Consulting Group (BCG).
How did you learn about Schoolhouse.world?
I heard about Schoolhouse from a friend of mine who went to MIT and happened to know Drew. When I mentioned that I was changing jobs, my friend referred me to Drew’s LinkedIn job post, so I introduced myself, and now here we are!
Why did you decide to join the product team?
I joined the product team because there was no other organization that had Schoolhouse’s combination of an inspiring mission, incredible platform, and fantastic people. I truly believe that we have the opportunity to make online tutoring freely accessible around the world and just really wanted to help make that a reality.
What do you currently do at Schoolhouse?
I lead Programs and Partnerships at Schoolhouse! This involves scaling and optimizing our current offerings like the SAT Bootcamps. It also includes identifying partner organizations that can help introduce new tutors and learners to our community and make the Schoolhouse experience and impact even greater.
What has been your favorite experience of being a part of the Schoolhouse.world community so far?
- The people I get to work with day to day! It’s been an absolute pleasure getting to know the rest of our amazing product team and learning from such capable and genuine people.
- When applying to Schoolhouse, I also had no idea how involved and impactful our volunteer teams were. Getting to work with the SAT Bootcamp Special Ops team has given me a much better sense of our organization’s inner workings and history.
Where do you hope to see Schoolhouse.world at the end of 2023?
- I hope that the SAT Bootcamps will become a fully fledged program and gain traction with school districts/states to even the SAT tutoring playing field.
- I would love to see Schoolhouse working with new partners that can expand our reach and program quality to make us not a household, but hopefully a “school-hold” name.
- I want the community to stay vibrant and hope that volunteers both old and new continue to work together to drive our mission forward.
What are your interests outside of schoolhouse?
Because I’m from Vermont, I really enjoy all things outdoors (like hiking and skiing) and athletic (especially basketball and tennis). I also play the piano and am learning how to play the guitar. I also love to cook. My newest endeavor is training for the NYC Marathon this Fall so wish me luck!
Do you have any final words of advice for tutors and other members of the community?
I just want to say a big thanks to everyone in the community for being so welcoming over my first few months! Changing jobs was certainly stressful but all of you definitely made the transition more comfortable and extremely excited for what lies ahead!
- Free Online Math Tutor Sessions
- Finding a Math Tutor and Live Homework Help: How Schoolhouse is Different
- Why Is Calculus So Hard?
- How to Survive AP Calculus
- Do You Need College to be Successful?
- The Benefits of Becoming a Tutor
- How to Stop Procrastinating Right Now
- Easy Scholarships to Apply for in 2022
- SAT Math Practice Test Questions and FAQs
- Spotify Playlists for Studying